1 Day Mount Longonot Hiking safari
1 Day Mount Longonot Hiking safari package is a short safari package perfect for hikers, this safari package offers adventurous hiking on Mountain Longonot giving you an opportunity to experience the wilderness and extraordinary scenic views of the rift valley. Mountain Longonot is a stratovolcano and dormant volcano located in the southeast of Lake Naivasha in a distance of 90 kilometers northwest of Nairobi, Mountain Longonot lies on the floor of the Great Rift Valley which is a famous site. The volcano is said to have last erupted during the 1860s leaving behind a large caldera of 8X12 kilometers and this caldera consists of a summit cone which is also capped by a 1.8 kilometers caldera.
Mountain Longonot is named after a Masai local slag Oloonong’ot meaning mountains of many spurs or steep ridges, the mountains stands at the elevation of 2780 meters above the sea level. Mountain Longonot has a trail of 3.1 kilometers running from the entrance of Mountain Longonot national park running to the rim of the crater and the trail continues to encircle the crater in a loop of 7.2 kilometers.
Hiking mount Longonot is an experience of hiking 13.5 kilometers taking approximately 4-5 hours including necessary breaks.
Highlights of the 1 Day Mount Longonot Hiking safari
- pick up from your hotel in Nairobi
- sights of the Nairobi city and the local people
- hiking to the summit of mountain Longonot
- sights of the rift valley escarpments
On the day of the safari you will be picked up from your hotel in Nairobi after early morning breakfast, you will meet your safari guide/driver and set off northwestwards of Nairobi on a drive of 1-2 hours to Mountain Longonot. Upon your arrival, you will register at the park’s headquarters for registration of hiking and then start your hiking from the gate which lies at the elevation of 2150 meters heading to the rim of the crater of the volcano at the elevation of 2776 meters above the sea level.
The hike takes you through a very steep and craggy trail which makes the hike a bit difficult and requiring hikers to be physically fit, as you heading towards the rim of the carter you will take breaks for resting and refreshing. Once at the rim of the crater the pinnacle of this hike you are awarded with splendid sights of the Great Rift Valley and Lake Naivasha, from the rim of the crater you will descend back to the main gate of Mountain Longonot national park where the experience started from.
From the gate together with your safari driver you will set off on your driver back to Nairobi, in Nairobi you will be dropped off either at your lodge or at the airport for your departure flight.
Note: On your hike, you go with your packed lunch or with cooks to prepare your lunch.
End of the 1 Day Mount Longonot Hiking safari
- transportation throughout the safari in a private vehicle
- hiking fees
- meals as per meal plan
- services of a professional English speaking guide
- bottled drinking water
- drinks including soft and alcoholic drinks
- personal nature expenses on drinks, souvenirs and many more
- tips to cooks, guides and porters
- extra meals not listed by the itinerary
- optional activities not included in the itinerary
What to carry with you on mountain Longonot hike.
- waterproof bag back
- roll mats and insulation pads
- comfortable hiking shoes/boots and light walking trainers thongs flip
- comfortable warm clothing including sweaters, jumpers, anorak, raincoat, water and wind proof pants, jackets, t-shirt , long sleeved shirts and pair of socks
- toiletries such as toilet paper, soap and shower gel
- water bottle
- sunscreen lotion and insect repellent